Behind every edition of the Saskatchewan Games is a talented group of dedicated community members who volunteer their skills and expertise towards the planning and staging of Saskatchewan's largest biennial youth multi-sport event.
And you can be a part of it!
The 2022 Saskatchewan Winter Games Host Society is currently recruiting key volunteers to join the Host Organizing Committee. This volunteer opportunity is ideal for those in Regina and surrounding area who want to develop professional skills, grow their network, have fun, and make an important contribution to amateur sport in Saskatchewan. This 50th Anniversary edition of the Saskatchewan Games will take place in Regina from February 20-26, 2022, and will feature competition from upwards of 1,800 participants in 18 sports.
Learn more about the 2022 Saskatchewan Winter Games here, and reach out to Val Sluth, Chair, to get involved in the planning of this major celebration of sport, culture and community!
Now introducing our team:
LYLE MCKELLAR | AVP SPORT
What are you most looking forward to in the lead-up to or during the 2022 Saskatchewan Winter Games?
- There is much excitement and anticipation in this being the first Saskatchewan Games hosted in Regina. It will be a fantastic event as the province emerges from the pandemic. Our young athletes will once again have an opportunity to display their many talents in a Saskatchewan showcase.
What's your day job?
- Executive Director - Saskatchewan High Schools Athletic Association
What’s your favourite sport (to play or watch)?
- My competitive days are behind me but I love to golf now. I am a sports fan to the core so whatever the season, I always manage to find something to enjoy.
What do you hope to achieve as part of the 2022 SWG Host Committee?
- I hope that we are able to provide a great experience for everyone involved in the Games but most importantly for our young athletes that will be competing.
Why did you decide to get involved as a planning volunteer?
- I have been involved in sport for much of my life as a participant, volunteer, and as part of my career. The involvement of volunteers is crucial for sport to be able to develop life skills in those that are involved. It is time to return to the volunteer component of my involvement.
Why should somebody seek to get involved as a planning volunteer with the 2022 SWG?
- The Winter Games are going to provide a great sport experience for the athletes but it is also going to provide them with a great opportunity for individual growth and development.
What's your proudest accomplishment?
- My wife and I have raised three beautiful daughters. I truly believe that their involvement in sport has been a contributing factor to their individual development.
What's a fun fact about you?
- Many moons ago, I spent three weeks watching 20 major league baseball games in 8 different cities in the northeast US!