In March 1972, the Saskatchewan Government announced the inauguration of the Saskatchewan Games. This announcement gave Saskatchewan athletes of all ages the opportunity to participate in multi-sport games. To encourage province wide involvement, Regina and Saskatoon were declared ineligible to host the games as these cities had the opportunity to attract other major events.
Over the years, the games have grown as various cultural activities have been incorporated. The purpose of the games has also evolved. The focus of the games is now on athletes in the ‘train to train’ stage of development providing them the opportunity to prepare for competition at higher levels.
Estevan is excited to prepare to host athletes from all nine of the Sport, Cultural, and Recreational Districts: Northern, Parkland Valley, South West, Lakeland, Prairie Central, Rivers West, Regina, Saskatoon, and our home region of Southeast Connection.
Estevan is extremely excited to host the 2016 Saskatchewan Summer Games July 24-30, 2016. This opportunity allows us to showcase our community, build upon our recreation facilities, build community unity and pride and provide our young athletes the chance to compete provincially and experience something that they will never forget.
Our mission is to Energize the Games in a way that celebrates sportsmanship, friendship, volunteerism and sport development.
The 2016 Saskatchewan Summer Games Host Committee believes in...
- Commitment to athletes, visitors, and coaches in providing quality care, comfort, and competition.
- The power of community, camaraderie, and volunteerism in being successful hosts and ambassadors.
- The value of partnerships in developing a collective purpose among business, government, citizens, and service clubs in working together in hosting a quality Summer Games.
- Sports as a means of developing citizenship, leadership, character, friendships, and healthy lifestyles.
- Fiscal responsibility, respect, and integrity.
- Hosting the 2016 Summer Games will enable visitors to experience Estevan and area’s vast amenities and unique culture and to foster tourism and economic development.